Since my band is Affliction Asylum, and our initials are AA, we joke a lot about being mixed up with that other AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). In the spirit of that, I decided to slightly rework the 12-steps. We are a Christian rock band. That means we believe in God, and that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die a cruel death on a cross so that we could be free from our sin. He is that Asylum for our Afflictions.
- Admit we are powerless over our afflictions – that our lives have become unmanageable.
- Come to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand Him.
- Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Be entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly ask Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Make a list of all persons we had harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all.
- Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continue to take personal inventory and when we are wrong promptly admit it.
- Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understand Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, carry this message to the afflicted, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
In all seriousness, these steps will change your life if you truly seek in your heart to change your outlook on life. And if you need prayer, or someone to talk/vent to, any one of us in the band would be willing, just ask.